As bad as this is it’s still better than the Zelda CD-I stuff.
This past week I have been in TX for training on a new platform I’ll be responsible for at my job. And unbeknownst to me the class let out early on the last day or more specifically the last day was a half day.
After hearing that I was thrilled because my original flight had been booked for 7pm that night and there were like 4 flights before that I could try to get on. Despite everybody telling me I didn’t stand a chance I knew I had to try (when I’m the most optimistic person in a room you know things are bad).
So I bust out my GPS app for my blackberry and high tail it to DFW. Made decent time, checked in and even found a security check point without body rapers (scanners). Got through and went to the first gate that had a 2:20pm flight and despite my best attempts at being nice (yes I can be nice) I was totally 100% shot down.
I didn’t give up though I went down the terminal a bit and tried a different gate. After waking up the agent there and attempting to get him to give a fuck he proceeded to tell me no also. Both of them told me the same spiel…that American Airlines (I usually fly United) had done away with standby a year ago. To which I asked “but what if there are empty seats?” and he just replied that they stay empty unless you pay to upgrade and had the feature to purchase standby on your ticket.
Now all my travel issues are booked via work. I don’t do anything but pick times and they handle it all. I also can’t just tack on $50 to my flight without probably getting in deep trouble so basically what this means is that I am currently sitting on my ass in DFW until 7pm tonight when my flight boards.
Now I’m not a big fan of traveling via airplane honestly but now it’s not just a matter of whizzing through the sky in a giant metal tube. You also have to deal with airlines nickle and diming you for everything they can think of. You’ve got the TSA devising new ways to probe and irradiate you and now you can’t even try to get on an earlier flight without them wanting an additional fee out of you.
I still think I’d rather have driven.
Just a quick picture with my iPod. Our new Logitech Harmony One remote came yesterday.
We had to get a new one because after four years the silver buttons (along the screen and also the volume ones) have started to fail on our old Harmony 720. I even went so far as to take it apart to clean them but they are sealed so you can’t even try. We seriously had to press some buttons so hard that the screen warped like it was going to snap. Considering how much we paid for it I can’t say we’re very happy but well we are giving them one more chance with this new remote.
So far so good….the Logitech Harmony software is a beast but for the most part it did a good job of transferring everything over to the new one automatically (I’d say 90% of he buttons worked properly). Still playing with it though so we’ll see what happens. For an MSRP of $199 I must say I expect this one to last more than 4 years and crap out on me with cheap buttons.
and it was even featured on the front page…cool!
So when we last left off I had built a kegerator, however, it was only able to hold 1/6 kegs…or cornie kegs as I call them. If I ever wanted a 1/4 (pony keg) or a standard keg I’d need a larger flat surface to hold it.
Cool Story Bro time….about two or three years ago when I sold my motorcycle the guy who showed up arrived with this big ol’ piece of scrap plywood that he thought would be strong enough to get the bike up into the back of his truck. Fortunately for him I had a ramp that we could use to get it up (and strap the hell out of it along with some 2×4′s to hold the tires). When we were done he didn’t have room for the scrap and I told him I’d throw it away. Of course being the pack rat I am I’ve kept it in my scrap pile since then.
After tracing it out all I had to do was really cut it out. I used a jig saw so I could round off the corners all nice and pretty. I only ended up having to cut an additional 1/4″ off the front to make the door close all the way. I then dipped into my scrap pile again and came out with a nice bit of 2x9x8 I then cut down to 8 3/4″ x 24″. Then I just nailed it to the front by starting with one nail in the center and then making sure the ends were flush (no such thing as a straight board).
The test fit at this point was excellent. In fact even when I put all my weight on it there wasn’t much (if any) flex at all. Given that a full keg weights about 160lb max I decided that all I needed was a little cross bracing and we’d be done. Another dip into my scrap pile and that’s exactly what happened.
So now we have a nice big flat area that is surprisingly stable. I might have to play with the shelves a bit when we get the next keg though but time will tell. I might gain back some storage in the door by being able to use the space over the compressor.